Thursday, May 10, 2012

Learning French

I've been thinking about learning the French language for a really long time.  Yesterday I found some nice CD's called Rush Hour French.  You listen to the tapes during your commute to work or running errands.  It seems to be a nice way to learn beginning French.  So far, I've learned the following:


Bonjour (Hello)
Oui (Yes)
Francais (French)
J em'appelle (My name is)
Enchantee (It's nice to meet you)
Merci (Thank you)
Merci beaucoup (Thank you very much)
De rien (You're welcome)
Tres bien (Very good)
D'ou venez-vous? (Where do you come from?)
Je viens de ... (I come from)

And I've also learned some of the numbers:

One (un)
Two (deux)
Three (trois)
Four (quatre)
Five (cinq)
Six (six)
Seven (sept)
Eight (huit)
Nine (neuf)
Ten (dix)

It's a beautiful language.  My Huguenot ancestors on my mother's side came from France to the United States to escape religious persecution.  When she was a young woman in school, my mother took French.  She said that she loved it.  I imagine at the time, the she didn't even know where her ancestors came from.  She just knew that she loved the French language and it came naturally to her.  Only after I began to research her father's side of the family, did she learn that her 5 times great grandfather came to America in the 1700's.

I created this blog because I wanted to somehow document my journey into learning the French language.  My goal is to try to post here often and to keep a record of what I'm learning.



No comments:

Post a Comment